Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

We're having another boy!!!!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, May 19, 2008

Ruptured Ear Drum

I know people think I am crazy and I may be, but when it comes to my baby…I know what I’m talking about! I began calling the on-call nurse on Friday saying that he’s not getting any better. I got the “give it 48 hrs” speech and was off the phone with her. On Saturday, I called back and got the “give it 72 hrs” speech. Again, I called Sunday and told them something is really wrong with my child. And get this…I got a nurse that told me that “ear infections take 4-5 days to clear up…he’s fine”. I knew he wasn’t fine. No sleep, not eating and constant crying is not fine.

We ended up taking Kevin to Urgent Care on Sunday to find out that he was resistant to the antibiotic given on Thursday and that his right ear drum had ruptured and his left one was close to it. Basically he’s had an untreated double ear infection for 4 days. Poor baby! He was miserable. They gave him a Rocephin shot and he got a new antibiotic that we only have to give him for 3 days!!! He also got a antibiotic ear drop to help the ear drum heal. And of course because I had no idea all this was going on, I continued to give him his pain relieving ear drops which are a thick, yellow serum that I can give him every 2 hrs. With the ruptured ear drum, he has a hole in his ear and that serum was getting into the hole and making the pain worse. And don’t you know that he told me that every time I put the drops in his right ear. He was literally pushing my hands away. He knows what he’s “talking” about even as little as he is. Mommy promised to listen to him next time he’s sick – he’s a pretty smart baby!

No comments: